Thursday, May 1, 2008

Steak Salad with "Salsa"

Well...that's the last time I follow Central Market's reheating instructions blindly. Tasty, but way overdone steak! Grrrr.

This recipe assumes that you might have gotten 10 bucks of "free" (gotta spend 40 to use the coupon!) food from Central Market's chef case. Faced with a number of goodnesses and no plan, I selected some basics...sliced flank steak, cooked rare so it could be reheated and some green beans almondine. I pulled from my pantry and fridge chickpeas, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, roasted fresh corn, chopped basil and lemon and they came together to make an Italianesque salsa to top the steak with. The whole works was laid on a bed of arugula and baby spinach simply tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
You really don't need a recipe for this after I just mentioned all the ingredients...but just for the sake of wasting more time before having to go to the gym, here it is anyway.


Steak Salad:

chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used ~2/3 of a can)
corn from one large cob, roasted
chopped roasted red pepper, or in my case piquillo pepper since I had an open bottle
~6 large basil leaves, chopped
1 tomato chopped
lemon juice to taste
a couple glugs of olive oil
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
arugula, baby spinach, or a combo
cooked flank steak, sliced

Combine chickpeas through salt and pepper and set aside to perk. Actually, I added to the chopped tomatoes to the salsa at the last minute, but whatever.


Cook your steak if you don't happen to have any already cooked steak hanging around your fridge. Put a big pile of greens on each plate, and toss with a little more lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay the steak on the greens and top with salsa.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Only in Texas could you have Steak Salad! That's like one of my other all-time favorites: jalapeno cornbread stuffing counts as a "vegetable" at East Side Cafe. Mmmmmm...