Saturday, May 3, 2008

Ohmydogthisisgood Maple-Chile Popcorn!


Ok, I've now made this twice in as many days...and STILL no picture! There's a total disconnect in my brain when it comes to this stuff. Wait for to eat??? NO!! ok obviously this has been amended...finally was able to snap a quick pic. :-)
So until I've made this for the 20th time and have become somewhat blase about it (enough to get the camera out before stuffing it in my gob) you'll have to go to the place I found the recipe in the first place for a lovely photo. Culinary in the Desert's blog has become like one-stop recipe shopping for me. I've bookmarked a good many of his recipes to try in the future as there's a huge index of yummy dinners and desserts. I'm trying to stay away from the latter, but this one sneaked in! This has just enough sweet, salty, and spicy to make just about any normal person ecstatic.

Ohmydogthisisgood Maple-Chile Popcorn: (Adapted from Culinary in the Desert's adaptation of a Cooking Light recipe :-)

1 bag of as plain as you can get microwave popcorn, popped. (I like Central Market's Organics brand 94% fat-free and only stuff in it you'd use to make popcorn at home!)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (I tend to add a little extra)
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)

Preheat oven to 300.
Line a baking sheet with foil.
In a small sauce pan, add the maple syrup, butter, salt and red pepper and place over medium heat. While the mixture heats, stir the ingredients just until combined. When it comes to a boil, cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add popcorn to a large heat safe bowl (removing any unpopped kernels).
Now carefully pour the syrup mixture over the popcorn in a slow stream, stirring to coat.
Transfer popcorn mixture onto foil-lined baking sheet and spread to an even layer.
Bake for 15 minutes, stirring midway. Remove and let cool completely in pan then serve. Um, that should read let cool if you can...I however lacked any willpower required for this step and immediately unhinged my jaw. It was not a pretty sight.
There was no breathing involved...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, this sounds GOOD! I'd love to see a picture of the yummy, gooey mess of popcorn! As soon as we move and get our popper back, I'm trying it....

xo/ah

Beth said...

I guess I'm just too lazy to go to all this effort for popcorn on a regular basis. It was good though. Mike made us have separate bowls from the beginning since I'm known to eat enormous quantities of popcorn in one sitting.