Saturday, May 3, 2008

Cocoa Buttermilk Whole Wheat Waffles...the decadence continues


Do I really have to convince you to try it? I thought not.

Cocoa Buttermilk Whole Wheat Waffles:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 Tbs cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
slightly rounded 1/2 tsp baking soda (I added the tiniest bit more since I added Sucanat to the recipe)
~1 1/2 Tbs sugar or Sucanat (I used Sucanat, but next time I'll try agave nectar)
3 Tbs high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (Valrhona!)
1 egg, divided
1 cup buttermilk (make sure you shake it up first)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Optional: pure maple syrup, sliced ripe banana, chopped walnuts

Preheat waffle iron.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, cocoa, and Sucanat/sugar.
In a smaller bowl, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, but are not dry.
In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolk, buttermilk, vanilla, and butter, then gradually add to the dry ingredients to form a batter.
Gently fold egg whites into the batter to incorporate.
I lightly oil our waffle iron then put 1/2 the batter onto the iron, close and cook for ~6-8 minutes for a Belgian-style waffle iron.
Top with butter if desired, pure maple syrup, sliced nanners, and chopped walnuts. Yum!!
Makes two large waffles.

No comments: