Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Banana-Cranberry Muffinks


I seem to be muffin crazed these days...3 batches in the last month or so? I got bold this time and kind of made up my own recipe after looking at a mass of them online. For the last couple days my pal James and I have IM-ed back and forth about these...how much of this, what could sub for that, etc. Well, my bananas were sufficiently ripened today and I finally went for it.
This recipe created a good healthy muffin. No added oil or butter, lightly sweetened with agave nectar and the fruit, whole wheat flour and whole grain millet.
I'm undecided as to whether I like the millet in there. The Monster had asked me to make him some millet muffins the next time I fired up the pan, so that's how it made it's way into the recipe. They stay crunchy, which he loves, but I'm perfectly happy with just the crunch the walnuts provide. It's up to you, put it in or leave it out. If I use it the next time, I might go with only 1/4 cup. These muffinks are nice and moist from all the nanners and applesauce, with a nice tartness from the whole crans. I'd definitely make 'em again!


Banana Cranberry Muffins:
(makes 12 regular sized muffins at about 200 calories per muffin w/millet, 180 w/out)

3 ripe bananas
a rounded 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce...probably close to 1/2 cup, but just use the 1/3 rounded since I know that worked. :-)
1 cup of whole frozen cranberries
1 large egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup whole millet (I used 1/3 cup the first time I made these, but used a little less than a 1/4 the second time)
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
canola non-stick spray

Preheat the oven to 325° F.
Peel all three bananas and mash them in a large bowl with a fork.
Add rounded 1/3 cup applesauce, egg, and agave and mix well with a fork.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, millet, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring until just incorporated.
Fold in walnuts and cranberries
Distribute the batter evenly in an oiled 12-muffin pan for ~25 min. Cool in pan for 5, then turn out onto cooling rack.

No comments: