Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tofu Chocolate Pudding


Ok, ok, I know a lot of you are going...ick poo! But, don't knock it til you've tried it I always say. Unless we're talking about the baby duck heart the Monster ate while on a business trip to Copenhagen. Not going there, sorry.
I was in the mood for a little sweetie last night, happened to have the meager ingredients needed for this recipe on hand, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Well I'm pleased to say that I plan to make it again, making a few changes next time. I'll type up the recipe as I found it online, then list the changes I think I'll make next time.

Tofu Chocolate Pudding

Adapted from Vegetarian Express by Nava Atlas and Lillian Kayte (Little, Brown, and Company, 1995).

6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 10-ounce package lite firm silken (aseptic-packed) tofu (not chilled like I used it! Your chocolate will solidify before it has a chance to fully incorporate into the tofu)
1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar, honey, or brown rice syrup, or to taste (I used agave nectar)
Dash of nutmeg (I didn't use this)
1 banana, thinly sliced (optional) (didn't use this either)

1. Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan or double boiler with a tablespoon of water over medium heat. (I nuked the chips in a bowl for 10-15 second increments, stirring in between til melted most of the way. Then I just stirred until the rest melted in the already warm chocolate. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.)

2. Transfer the melted chocolate to the container of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the tofu and process until smooth. Add the brown sugar, honey, or rice syrup to taste, and sprinkle in the nutmeg. Process again until velvety smooth.

3. Stir in the rounds of sliced banana, if desired. Divide the pudding among 2 small dessert cups and chill until needed.

Ok, NEXT time I plan on using a melted Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate bar. I'm not sure if I'll use more than one bar (3.5 oz). Think I'll try that and see if it's chocolatey enough. Chocolate chips always taste like chocolate chips to me...does that make any sense whatsoever?? Kind of raisiny?? I know...I'm a weirdo.
I also want to add a little pure vanilla extract to the mix. See what that does for the flavor. I'll stick with the agave nectar...my low-glycemic sweetener of choice these days. :-)
I suppose if you're not worried about eating a bunch of nasty stuff found in Cool Whip, it'd be nice to fold that into the pudding, or serve dolloped on top. But, after reading the ingredient list, I just don't think I can go there anymore.

Take this recipe for what it was meant to be last night. A quick semi-healthy cure for a sweet tooth. It's not gonna be your granny's puddin' but it was good, so give it a try! And, no dad...you won't even taste the tofu! :-)

No comments: