Sunday, March 23, 2008

Apple-Cinnamon Goodness Pancake/Waffle Topping


I had a couple of Granny Smith apples left over in the fridge from something or other, so decided to make those into our Sunday morning pancake topping. This could be my new favorite! I weighed light on the scale this morning, so figured I could afford the extra butter I used in the apples. ;-) I did forgo putting any extra butter on top of the pancakes themselves. They really don't need it anyway since they're already nice and moist. I ate my appley-goodness-topped oatmeal pancakes sprinkled with walnuts which added a nice crunch.

Apple-Cinnamon Topping for Pancakes or Waffles:
(This made enough for 2)

2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 Tbs unsalted butter
cinnamon
amber agave nectar
pinch of salt

Melt butter in a large skillet (that you have a cover for) over med.-high heat. When just beginning to brown, add apples and sprinkle with cinnamon to your taste (I probably used ~1/2 tsp). I cooked them like this for a bit before reducing the heat a bit and adding about 3 good squeezes of agave nectar (again, just add to your own tastes). After adding the agave nectar, cover and simmer until soft and yummy.

No comments: