Saturday, March 29, 2008

Orange Hummus

Ok, so I had these red lentils sitting and staring up at me from a pull-out shelf every time I opened the pantry door...for like, a YEAR. I can't even remember what I made with them originally...obviously it couldn't have been all that memorable. So off to the computer I went to search for a recipe, when I'd had just about enough of their plaintive mews...
I found a quickie recipe for red lentil hummus that sounded great for snacking with veggies, sandwiches, etc. The recipe touted that red lentils are more easily digested than chickpeas, so last night I set about making this flexible sounding recipe. Hm...
Did I do something wrong? First off, It was the consistency of soup. And, the flavor? Not really there. This is all to say that I'm not going to bother sharing the recipe for this slop, but instead I'll post on my favorite alternative-type hummus, using my holiest of holies...the chickpea. Man, you just gotta love these little guys. I'm pretty sure I'm an addict. Used in falafel, hummus, whole in casseroles, salads, soups...they're one of my favorite things to eat.

This recipe for Orange Hummus comes from of my dog-eared copy of Mollie Katzen's (of Moosewood fame) Enchanted Broccoli Forest. No photo until I make it again, but this recipe is a winner in our house. You might want to halve the recipe if you're just making for 2, since it yields 3 cups as written.

Orange Hummus:

2- 15oz cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed

1/2 tsp each:
ground cumin
ground coriander
ground ginger
ground mustard
turmeric
mild paprika (sweet not smoked or hot)

3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup tahini
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbs cider vinegar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
cayenne to taste

Combine everything in a food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to a bowl or container with a lid, cover tightly, and chill.

Mollie Katzen's note..."Serve as a dip, surrounded by and array of raw and/or lightly steamed vegetables- or simply with crackers. This also goes beautifully in a toasted pita pocket with minced salad greens and chopped ripe tomatoes."

No comments: