Friday, April 23, 2010

Beet Rosti with Rosemary

I've been a little beet crazy around here lately...just can't seem to get enough of 'em. The Monster, not so much a fan. Well, I think I've finally found a recipe that will allow both of us to enjoy them!
I was skeptical, but after reading all of the rave reviews following Mark Bittman's recipe in the New York Times, I figured I'd better give it a go. Ah butter. You just make everything that much better.
That's what it takes folks. Butter. Maybe not the healthiest way I fix beets, but it was yummy and with the aid of a shredder blade on a food processor, the recipe is a cinch to make.
I only made half of the recipe...using 1 lb of beets instead of 2. I did use the full amount of butter in the pan though! In fact, I followed one commenter's advice and added another pat to the pan after the first side was done and before re-adding the pancake to the pan to cook the second side. The trick is to cook over a moderate heat so that you get a nice crusty exterior, but don't cook it so fast that the interior is left uncooked.
We ate this with a salad for dinner and I had a little slice left for my lunch today. Even though I halved the recipe I still used a 12" pan like the original recipe called for...seemed to work just fine.

Beet Rosti with Rosemary:
(Mark Bittman-NYT)

2 lbs of beets, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBS unsalted butter (I used closer to 3...adding one more and browning before I cooked the second side)

topping ideas: chopped parsley, Greek yogurt, chevre.

In a large bowl, toss shredded beets with rosemary and 1/2 of the flour; mix well. Add the rest of the flour; mix again.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Heat 2 Tbs butter in a 12" non-stick skillet over moderate heat. Let butter brown, but not burn.
Add beet mixture to pan once butter is nut brown and form into a thick pancake with a spatula.
Cook for 8-10 minutes over moderate heat.
When first side is crisped, slide pancake onto a plate. Place another plate on top of the pancake and flip.
Heat another pat of butter in pan and brown a bit.
Now slide the pancake back into the pan and cook second side for about another 10 minutes.
Serve hot or at room temperature.

Top with chopped parsley, Greek yogurt or chevre.

4 comments:

Miranda Rommel said...

Wow. So kind of like Beet Hashbrowns?
Would NEVER have occurred to me in a zillion years.

Erndog said...

Yep, pretty much just like that, M. :-)

Joanie said...

I think you really love beet and asparagus! Cool... nice recipes you got!

Erndog said...

Hey Joanie...just taking advantage of what's in season! :-) I'll have to check out your blog too!
~Erin