Thursday, June 18, 2009

Honeyed Lentils

This was one of our hostess' food offerings the other night at book club and it was really delicious. Had I known how simple it was to make it would have gone on the menu for the next night. The only dish you dirty is the glass loaf pan. Gotta love that. Thanks for passing on this stellar recipe Monica!

Honeyed Lentils:
(ever so slightly adapted from Monica Mueller)

Monica always doubles this recipe and has two loaf pans going at once. I'd think these would freeze nicely, so makes sense to me.

1 c green lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 c water
2 T honey (I know it's called Honeyed Lentils, but I'll use a lot less than 2 Tbs next time :-)
2 T tamari or liquid amino acids
2 T olive oil
1/2 t ginger powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
Pepper

I added fresh lemon juice at the end of baking because it was a little sweet for my taste. Next time I might only use 1/2-1 Tbs honey, and still use the lemon too.

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients and bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. (Monica noted that she usually uses glass bread loaf pans covered in tin foil, so I did the same.)
Serve by itself or over rice.

I'd wanted to post about the cabbage because it's REALLY good! But, cut into the onion required to make it and not so pretty a scene. Made it without, but this is the link to the original recipe on Simply Recipes blog anyway. I just make it with red cabbage instead. Follow the instructions for the sauteed version.

No comments: