Friday, May 8, 2009

Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate Pie


Book club tonight, and I'm FINALLY remembering to take a picture of a dish I've made for it! I don't know what's come over me. Could be I just really want to share this ungodly rich dessert that took all of 2 minutes to put together. This was served with dollops of whipped cream, decidedly moo-some. But, after licking the bowl of the food processor and nearly falling over from the hardcore chocolate of it all, I figured it needed something to cut it a bit. Maybe next time I'll use a little less chocolate? I know...blasphemy! It'd also be fun to try another liqueur too.

Moo-less Chocolate Pie:
(Adapted from Alton Brown)

2 cups chocolate chips (I use one whole bag of Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips...I'm fairly well addicted)
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
1 block firm silken tofu, room temperature (aseptic package that is shelf stable...I used MoriNu lite)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a touch of almond extract to taste (ours is really strong, so I err on the side of less is more)
1/2 tsp, or to taste cinnamon (I use Vietnamese cinnamon)
1 tablespoon+ honey
1 prepared chocolate wafer crust (I just used a store-bought graham crust I already had, but will make a crust next time. The pie filling sliced nicely, but the crust just crumbled to bits.)
Update: I now use this tart's crust recipe. So good!
whipping cream (optional, but highly recommended)


Nuke the chocolate in a bowl at 20 second intervals, stirring each time until melted...careful not to burn it. Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture, and honey in a food processor.  Add coffee liqueur, vanilla, cinnamon, and a touch of almond extract.  Blend until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling is set. Serve with whipped cream if you know what's good for you.

No comments: