Thursday, January 29, 2009

Indian Spiced Cauliflower

I made this as a side for our Curried Green Pea Soup last night. Perfect partner to the soup.
I found the recipe on yet another blog...one I've gleaned cauli recipes from before, since she seems to be as big a fan as I am. I've made this several times as she posted it, but this round just didn't have the time to roast it in the oven when I realized that's where it needed to go. It's supposed to be tossed in the olive oil and spice mixture and roasted at 450 for 30 minutes. By all means you can do that, or just....

Indian Spiced Cauliflower:
(adapted from Seasonal Ontario Food)

1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp whole coriander
1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt (I used chunky grey salt crystals)
~1/2 head cauliflower; ~4 cups, cut into smallish florettes, or slices (1/2" thick if roasting)
~1/2 Tbs olive oil
~1/2 Tbs butter

Steam cauliflower until it's just barely tender, then set aside.
Add whole spices and salt to a spice grinder (I have a dedicated cheap coffee grinder for this) and whiz til ground, but still a little chunky.
Melt butter with olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
When pan is hot, add cauliflower, then sprinkle it with all of your spice mix.
Toss til cauliflower is coated in spice and then saute until it turns a nice golden brown in places on all sides, and the cauli is tender.

I personally liked this method better than roasting. The cauliflower was more uniformly cooked through without any burned, or undercooked bits.

No comments: