Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Orange-Glazed Salmon

I wasn't entirely sold that I'd like this recipe, never having been a fan of marmalade (sorry Paddington). But, it just looked too pretty in the magazine photo not to make it. To be sure, the marmalade was a little bitter, but that's just the way it is right? That said, I'm totally going to make it again. Specially seeing as we've now got a jar of marmalade to use up, and it sure as heck isn't going on my toast! The Monster is a hard sell on making salmon any way other than baked with salt and pepper and he DID like this if that means anything to you.

I'll type this up as the recipe was written, but I broiled the salmon instead of sauteing it. House is a lot less stinky the next day! :-) Plus you don't need as much oil. When the salmon is finished broiling add it to the skillet that you've heated your marmalade and lime juice in. We just had 12 oz total of salmon for the two of us, so I halved the spice mix, but I made the full amount of sauce. Served over brown rice cooked in veggie broth with green beans, twas very nice.

Orange-Glazed Salmon:
(Cuisine at Home magazine)

3 Tbs Cajun Spice (I used a salt-free blackening spice. I lightly oiled, then salted the fillets before putting it on.)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
4 boneless, skinless salmon fillets (6oz. each)
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/4 cup Seville orange marmalade (I didn't buy it because the first ingredient was high-fructose corn syrup...no. Used Bonne Maman brand marmalade and just doubled the lime juice called for)
1 Tbs. lime juice (used 2)

Combine Cajun spice, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Rub over all surfaces of fillets. Saute fillets in oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat for 3-4 min.
Turn and saute and additional 2-3 minutes.

Blend marmalade and lime; swirl in pan until melted (I also added a pat of butter to the sauce since my pan didn't have any oil in it from sauteing the fish). Carefully turn fish to glaze on all sides. The salmon is done when it begins to flake when tested with a fork.
Serve with lime wedges.

No comments: