Saturday, August 9, 2008

Spicy Black-eyed Peas with Collard Greens (and Sausage!)


I found this recipe on Fat Free Vegan's blog and it sounded perfect for my non-committal family who were going to be in town, they didn't know when, they didn't really know doing what. So I thought I'd at least have a pot of SOMEthing ready in case anyone got hungry and happened to be at our house at the same time! :-) My mom is a veggie so this recipe fit the bill. And for the meat eaters the Monster picked up some jalapeno sausage from Donn's bbq on his way home from work. It was great sliced into the the peas and collards served over some brown rice cooked in Central Market's organic veggie broth. A great meal to have for the freezer I'm thinking, even though what's left from this batch will be going into our bellies for lunch. This was my first time cooking with dried black-eyed peas and I think I'll just do this from now on when time allows. Don't know why I thought it was such a big deal...I was able to control the salt and they were cheaper to boot.
The only things I changed from the original recipe were to reduce the amount of dried herbs (don't like things too herby) and to add a splash of vinegar to the pot. I made this around 3pm and when it was done cooking just let it sit on the stove in my big enameled pot until dinner at 7. It's nice if you can make it ahead and just let the flavors come together even more.


Spicy Black-eyed Peas with Collard Greens (and Sausage):

2 onions, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 cup diced green bell pepper
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over and rinsed
6 cups water
1 pound collard greens, tough stems removed and greens chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme (divided...I only used 1/2 tsp in with the onions)
1 teaspoon oregano (divided...again I only used 1/2 tsp in with the onions)
1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted preferred)
2 cup vegetable broth (or water)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika (I used hot smoked)
1 -2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
1 tablespoon double strength tomato paste (or 2 tbsp. regular)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
splash of vinegar (optional)

Optional: top with jalapeno sausage from your favorite bbq joint

Spray a large pot with a light coating of olive oil. Heat it and add the onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until they begin to brown. Add the celery, green pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes.

Add the black-eyed peas, water, 1 (or 1/2) teaspoon of the thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.

Slowly bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, partially cover the pot and cook until peas are tender, about 45-55 minutes.

Once the peas are tender, add all remaining ingredients and cook for at least 25-30 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Serve over brown rice with additional hot sauce. If you have some awesome jalapeno sausage nearby and are so inclined, throw some in to each bowl! :-)

Nutrition data obviously not including sausage!
Makes at least 6 servings. Each provides 242 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (4% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 488mg Sodium; 11g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core/4 Flex Points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...very interesting. Black-eyed peas and I are generally not friends, but we may have just made bad first impressions.

Am I going to see you this month?

Erndog said...

Hey Raisa! I've lost your email...so am answering you through the blog too.
Goofy. But yes, was waiting til I had the ticket reserved to answer, yes, yes! :-)
~e