Thursday, August 14, 2008

Kale and Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes

These were a really nice side dish and a good way to get more nutrition into mashed potatoes.
I can't bring myself to purchase organic kale anymore because it just takes too darn long and too much water to wash out most of the bugs. Ick.

Update! This has all changed since I watched Alton Brown wash his greens in the washing machine. Now I buy enough kale to warrant a small load and let the machine do the de-bugging for me. Tra la!

I deviated from the original recipe by using a combo of buttermilk that I had in the fridge and chicken broth for the liquid. Amounts are all relative to the amount of potatoes you'll have. I would have liked to use Yukon golds for the visual, but found myself at a store that only sold 5 lb bags of them! I ended up using one fat unpeeled Russet tater that made plenty with leftovers for the Monster and myself. I'm writing up the recipe for 3 lbs of potatoes (as I found it), rather than as I made it to feed 2. I don't remember who to give credit for this recipe...one of the blogs I read. :-)


Kale and Olive Oil Mashed Potato Recipe:

3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
sea salt
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, large stems stripped and discarded, leaves chopped very finely
1/2+ cup warm milk, plain unsweetened soy milk, low fat buttermilk, chicken broth or combo.
freshly ground black pepper
2-4 scallions, white and tender green parts, chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish (opt)


Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil and continue boiling for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute until it becomes golden. Add chopped kale, a good pinch of salt, and saute just until tender (2-3 min?). Set aside.

Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork. Slowly stir in your liquid of choice a few big splashes at a time. You are after a thick, creamy texture, so if your potatoes are on the dry side keep adding liquid until the texture is right. Season with salt and pepper.

Dump the kale on top of the potatoes and give a quick stir. Transfer to a serving bowl, make a well in the center of the potatoes and pour the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with the scallions and Parmesan cheese.

Serves 6.

No comments: