Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tamarind Fish


This recipe comes from Hooked on Heat's blog and was very tasty.

Tamarind Fish:
Serves: 2

2 large fillets of any white, flaky fish (I used Tilapia), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced (I used a red bell instead)
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp tamarind concentrate
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt, to taste
2 Tbsp light cooking oil
chopped cilantro

Saute mustard seeds and sliced onions in hot oil until soft and lightly browned.

Add in turmeric, red pepper, salt, chopped tomatoes, garlic and tamarind, and cook until tomatoes pulp and spices have blended in well.

Stir in fish and green peppers, and stir fry on medium heat until fish is cooked through, making sure not to break fish too much. Garnish with cilantro before serving.

Serve with rice if you wish.

1 comment:

belle said...

I love this blog it looks like some very tasy fixin's will be happening in our kitchen ! I am very southern and although I had a 14 year stint as a veggie,(moons ago) bacon now creeps into most of our dishes...
So this will give us a healthful turn !
thanks for visiting my booth at The farmers market! I am thrilled to hear the hat was recieved so well. I suppose my apron would have a very happyy home in your kitchen! Much luck in the give-away.