Wednesday, February 13, 2013

An Early Valentine: Beet Borscht



We loved this soup from Green Kitchen Stories (a beautiful Swedish blog with photos much lovelier than mine).  I'm pretty sure Green Kitchen Stories' gorgeous moody photos are what lured me into trying this recipe.  The ingredient list seems so simple, but the whole spices really lend an amazing depth of flavor to the finished soup.  So, so good.  I made it once before, about a month ago, but it was a little difficult to eat without getting very messy.  I've solved this problem, by cubing the beets before shredding...smaller shreds = less hanging off your spoon and dripping crimson broth down your chin = win!  I served my Valentine Soup with toasts topped with melty Gruyère cheese. Delicious, healthy and festive for those celebrating St. Valentine's Day!

Printable Recipe
 Beet Borscht:
(from Green Kitchen Stories beautiful blog)

2 Tbs ghee or cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp whole dried mustard seeds (I used brown, but I don't suppose it matters)
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 med-large onion, finely chopped
1 lb peeled raw organic beets, dice to ~1/2-3/4" then grate in a food processor
4 cups organic vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Horseradish Yogurt Topping:
4 tsp fresh finely grated horseradish, or to taste (I've used prepared Boar's Head horseradish in the past, but fresh horseradish root is awesome if you can find it…I got mine at Whole Foods)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)



Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add mustard seeds and cumin, stirring constantly until fragrant, taking care not to let them burn.
Add onion and saute until soft, stirring occasionally.


 Add grated beets, vegetable broth and bay leaves to the pot.


Bring to a boil, cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.


Combine fresh grated horseradish and yogurt while the soup simmers and set aside.
Add apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to the soup and let it simmer for another minute or so.
Adjust seasoning to taste, then serve in bowls, topping each with a dollop of the horseradish yogurt.  YUM!

1 comment:

Recipeas4u said...

I love borscht! This sounds delicious. Nice pics too.