Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fresh Tomato Sauce with Thyme


Ok, so maybe I'll post things afterall. Just because I can't have this rustic tomato sauce atop homemade goat cheese ravioli doesn't mean YOU can't. A good easy sauce to make for any pasta, or even steamed veggie, rice or hm...well, I'm sure you could figure out another use if none of those float your boat. The recipe comes from the sole issue of Vegetarian Times that I kept. Basically for this recipe and the pasta that went along with it. I ate it today on a bed of spaghetti squash and ground turkey breast along with a spinach salad for a very satisfying lunch today.

Fresh Tomato Sauce with Thyme:
(Vegetarian Times)

2 tsp olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion (I probably used 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
~1/8+ red pepper flakes
5 seeded and chopped tomatoes (I used 7)
2 tsp fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Saute onion for ~2 minutes.
Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
Add tomatoes and thyme and when they come to a good simmer, turn heat to medium-low.
Simmer for ~25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: