Monday, April 21, 2008

Jicama, Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Slaw


When The Monster and I were coming home from running errands this weekend, I noticed a fruit seller on the side of the road. More importantly, I noticed that he had some really nice looking jicama! So, off we pulled and I found a lovely one with our name on it. I haven't bought a jicama in ages, but one of my favorite snacks as a kid was sliced jicama doused in lime, chili powder and cilantro. I had a slaw planned for sometime this week so had a the red cabbage in the fridge for that, the red peppers sounded like a good thing to toss in, and the dressing...that was going to have to have lime juice, chili powder and cilantro. It looks like it will be delicious with our leftover amended stuffed acorn squash from last night.

Jicama, Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Slaw:

Slaw:
~1/2 large jicama, peeled and sliced however you want
red cabbage, sliced thinly
most of a red pepper, sliced
~1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
a couple green onions

Dressing:
juice of 2-3 limes
a good shaking of chili powder (really just to your tastes)
a good pinch of kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
a couple squeezes of agave nectar (or honey)
a wee bit of light olive oil

Slice all your veggies, make the dressing and combine the two. Toss until combined and then let it sit in the fridge for about an hour...it gets better if it sits even longer. I ate the rest of the slaw with added chickpeas and baby spinach for lunch the next day. Oh, and added a shot of Tabasco sauce too!

No comments: