Friday, February 29, 2008

Not-so-Rustic Onion Tart, Arugula Salad


This delicious savory tart recipe was gleaned from the gorgeous (and highly reliable!) food blog simply recipes.
I had leftover store-bought pie dough in my fridge this time, but I've vowed to make my own the next time I have need for a crust! Not to denigrate the store-bought...quick, easy, and always works. But, I'd like to have more control over what goes into my bod. Better butter than some hydrogenated crap. Usually this looks more rustic...at least it did the last time I made it. Think I just had too much filling to make a funkier hex-shaped tart this time.
The only changes I made were adding a tad more balsamic vinegar and a little agave nectar in the last 10 minutes of carmelizing the onions. Oh, and maybe more cheeeeese! I also brush the top of the crust with an egg wash before sprinkling the cheese over the top.


I like to serve this with a pile of organic arugula tossed simply with lemon juice, olive oil, s&p, and topped with a poached egg (from Monster's collegue's daughter's chickens :-)), sliced avocado, orange segments, and a few toasted almond slices.

No comments: