Sunday, April 5, 2009

Quinoa Salad


I used the rest of the Orange-Pomegranate Dressing from yesterday's beet salad between baked tofu and this quinoa salad. The baked tofu was made in this manner, I just subbed ~1/2 cup of the dressing for all the other ingredients I normally use, plus some kosher salt and garlic powder sprinkled on top (next time I'd add more lemon too...or something zingy). The salad is from Cooking Light, only they make theirs with couscous...which you could most certainly do too. I just like the high protein content of quinoa, and didn't want any wheat in this meal. I also pulled out the last of the pinenuts and feta to top it off, because what isn't better with cheeeeese?

Quinoa Salad:
(adapted from Cooking Light)

just shy of 2 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked quinoa (well rinsed if it doesn't come rinsed, if you bought it in bulk then it doesn't)
1 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped green onions (I used red onion, since my green onions were slimerrific!)
1/2 cup diced English cucumber
1/2 cup diced tomato (I added this to the top of each serving so it wouldn't get mushy in the leftovers)
~1/2 cup Pomegranate-Orange Dressing
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Optional toppings:
feta
toasted pinenuts, or walnuts

Cook quinoa as per package instructions. Let cool.
Mix all other ingredients together (leaving out the tomato if you'll have leftovers) adding quinoa when it's cooled somewhat. Top each serving with tomato, feta and pinenuts.

No comments: